Position Description: Advocacy Officer
The 88 Project is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization based in the United States. Founded in 2012, The 88 Project supports and encourages freedom of expression in Vietnam by sharing the stories of and advocating for Vietnamese activists who are persecuted because of their peaceful dissent.
The 88 Project is looking for an Advocacy Officer to join our dynamic and international team to further our mission. This is a remote, part-time, independent contractor position with flexible working hours and negotiable compensation.
- Participate in advocacy strategy planning
- Carry out direct advocacy actions for persecuted activists with a variety of relevant stakeholders, including the UN, international human rights organizations, foreign governments.
- Represent the organization in public events to raise awareness about human rights situation in Vietnam
- Communicate with Vietnamese activists, families of political prisoners, and other stakeholders for advocacy and assistance activities
- Field media requests and write analysis pieces about activists and human rights situation in Vietnam
- Identify new advocacy strategies and actions and communicate with new potential advocacy partners
- Keep track of advocacy cases and outreach efforts and follow up as appropriate
- Research tasks, as assigned, to support content and research production process, including communicating with family of activists and prisoners as appropriate
- Work closely with the whole team, including the communications/social media team, for advocacy strategic planning and actions
- Other duties as assigned by supervisors
- Solid knowledge of Vietnam and the human rights situation in the country
- A good understanding of international relations and international human rights mechanism strongly desired
- Ability to communicate fluently in both English and Vietnamese strongly preferred
- Prior experience in human rights advocacy and proven commitment to the promotion of the rights to freedom of expression and assembly preferred
- Ability to strategize and work towards a goal
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as a team player
- Strong organizational and digital skills
- To learn more, or to apply, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. For applications, please submit a resume and cover letter, with indication of the desired level of compensation and number of working hours, and a short writing sample. For the writing sample, please provide a sample in English that is 1-3 pages long and in the format of a news piece, report, academic paper, or other formal piece of writing. If applicable, please also provide a Vietnamese writing sample, also 1-3 pages and with a formal tone.
Deadline to apply: September 15, 2021