On 4 June 2013, Dr Cu Huy Ha Vu reached his 9th day of hunger strike, his health rapidly deteriorating. His life is highly threatened as he has a congenital heart disease, along with multiple illnesses acquired throughout his imprisonment."
Please send messages to relevant Vietnamese public authorities, demanding them to:
- talk to Dr. Cu Huy Ha Vu about the resolutions of issues that constituted the reasons for his hunger strike.
- allow family's doctors and international human rights organizations' representatives to visit Cu Huy Ha Vu, to assure the public about his health condition
- end all maltreatments by jail officials to prisoners
- free Dr. Cu Huy Ha Vu and all political prisoners
Suggested message in Vietnamese:
"Tôi yêu cầu nhà nước Việt Nam
- nói chuyện với Tiến sĩ Cù Huy Hà Vũ về những giải pháp cho các vấn đề khiến ông tuyệt thực
- cho phép bác sĩ của gia đình và đại diện các tổ chức nhân quyền quốc tế tới thăm TS Cù Huy Hà Vũ, để dư luận được biết về tình hình sức khỏe của ông.
- chấm dứt những hành vi ngược đãi tù nhân
- trả tự do cho các tù nhân chính trị."Please send electronic messages via the online contact form to: The National Assembly of Vietnam: http://www.na.gov.vn/htx/English/C1330/default.asp?sAction=lienhe#I7QInwBAqPhn Mr. Nguyen Tan Dung, Prime Minister of Vietnam: http://thutuong.chinhphu.vn:2012/Utilities/Contact.aspx The Ministry of Public Security: http://www.mps.gov.vn/web/guest/contact_english And other representatives. If possible, please let us know if you have taken action, so that we know how many voices have been raised for Cu Huy Ha Vu. Project 88 - June 10, 2013
Hanoi, 4 June 2013
LETTER CALLING FOR URGENT HELP
From the family of Dr Cu Huy Ha Vu
– The international Vietnamese population
– The Members of Parliament
– All concerned international organisations
My name is Nguyen Thi Duong Ha
Residing at 24 Dien Bien Phu, Ba Dinh, Hanoi
On behalf of all members of my family, this is an urgent appeal for help.
My husband, Dr Cu Huy Ha Vu, was sentenced to 7 years imprisonment and 3 years parole by the Socialist Republic of Vietnam. His crime: “propaganda against the Socialist Republic of Vietnam”, judged through a “public hearing but secret trial” in Hanoi.
Those aware of the efforts of Dr Cu – to purge his country of corruption and disregard for human and environmental rights – view this sentence as an atrocity committed by the “National Jurisdiction of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam”. All that Dr Cu has said, published, and done has been validated; the Vietnamese community support his scrutiny as a sign of progression in the country. Cu Huy Ha Vu has always served his country and his compatriots; determined to shape the future of his nation and its people for the better. However, he is being severely maltreated through his detainment at Prison No. 5 – Department of Police in Yên Định, Thanh Hoá.
The staff at this prison are intentionally disregarding the articles of the law applicable to their prisoners, particularly to Dr Cu. His most recent letter of denunciation has been suppressed for 180 days without reply, and so in protest Dr Cu Huy Ha Vu has had no other option but to go on a hunger strike.
On 4 June 2013, Dr Cu Huy Ha Vu reached his 9th day of hunger strike, his health rapidly deteriorating. His life is highly threatened as he has a congenital heart disease, along with multiple illnesses acquired throughout his imprisonment.
Ladies and gentlemen, sisters and brothers,
We have sent several urgent letters of denunciation to the relevant leaders of the Party the Nation. We request the liberation of Dr Cu Huy Ha Vu; or at the very least an improvement in the conditions of his imprisonment.
However, to date, we have not received any reply.
Please view with compassion the situation of our family at this critical time. Please raise your voices and use all means possible to rescue Dr Cu Huy Ha Vu.
We sincerely and humbly seek help from the individuals, the organisations and international political authorities – asking you to come to the rescue of my husband, an honest citizen, an intellectual who loves his country and his compatriots.
Very truly yours,
Nguyen Thi Duong Ha
More information on Dr. Cu Huy Ha Vu:
Vietnam activist Cu Huy Ha Vu jailed after Hanoi trial
By Nga PhamBBC News, Hanoi
Mr Vu, who was arrested in November, had called for an end to one-party rule.
The verdict will draw criticism from rights organisations, who had before the half-day trial called for his immediate release.
His family has also questioned the legitimacy of the trial.
Mr Vu’s defence lawyers walked out of the Hanoi courtroom after their demands were rejected by the judges.
Revolutionary backgroundMr Vu was sentenced to seven years in jail and three years of house detention afterwards. The presiding judge said his behaviour had been harmful to society.
Through his writing and interviews given to foreign media, the 53-year-old legal expert advocated a multi-party system and called for democratic reforms in Vietnam.
He also tried to sue the Vietnamese prime minister twice over a mining project he said would harm the environment.
Mr Vu is the son of a celebrated poet who was also a leading revolutionary and confidant of President Ho Chi Minh.